The world, as seen by you, me and Neo

Friday, April 07, 2006

Today me, Neo and some of my colleagues were relishing some hot bites of tasty Mexican Pizza at Oregano's, and somebody guided the cheesy lunch time discussion to the hottest issue of the month, 'Illegal immigrants in America'.
My fellow American colleagues expressed their strong concerns about the unstoppable flux of illegal immigrants, and the inevitable results of increased burden on taxpayers, mounting pressure on hospitals, schools etc. and soaring crime rate. I believe our server, who was from Mexican descent, heard us and though I am not Malcolm Gladwell in interpreting the expressions, I felt his expression were breaking the language barrier between us and asking "is it right, to pronounce my attempt to provide my family a good life, illegal by the scribes of law?", and his question did penetrate my heart.
Is it reasonable to label these people as the root cause of the problem and forget Corporate world's strong lust for cheap labor?
Is it right to attribute all the problems to the greedy nature of mankind?
You might argue that my arbitration is driven more by emotional heart than by pragmatic mind, but in my opinion, mind fails to provide a perfect solution here.
Neo doesn't concur with me and says that inequalities will always exist in the world and one man's pursuit for happiness should not be on cost of another's misery. Aspiring immigrants have all the rights and procedures in place to enter the doors of America and those who can't confirm to these procedures should be stopped from entering the country.
His opinion sounds to be just and I don't think its not impious to immigrants either.
I recalled Neo was renovating his house and I asked him whether he checked, the contractors, whose work he admired, are
eligible to work in this country or not. A flash of mixed expressions was evident on his face.

Will heightening the border walls solve the problem?
Is legalizing millions of illegal people a feasible solution (Sounds ironic to me that people, who have lived here illegally for years, will be ready to voluntarily disclose the very fact)?

Flashback to my previous question....Is it right to attribute all the problems to the greedy nature of mankind?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sul said...

what happened to your resolution of updating your blog every week ? i guess u r busy ... anyways, do write whenever u have time (and thoughts).

i went to Nandi Hills on my bike this weekend and will post some pics soon on my blog. regards

11:12 PM  
Blogger LearningToFly said...

Heightening the border walls are not going to solve this problem. At present time what we need is not walls or borders as you have seen these walls and borders wherever they have been applied whether it's religion, geography wherever they have created differences between human being. And at the end only human being has suffered. I think whether a guy is legal or illegal immigrant he is just serving our country by providing his contributions and services.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home